July 24, 2015 Growing Tips
Coconut coir fiber makes an excellent addition to seed starting mixes and is a superior alternative to peat moss in all potting mediums. Coconut coir fiber is environmentally friendly, renewable resource that is easy to use and completely biodegradable.
Here are some of the advantages of using coco coir fiber:
- High water holding capacity – up to 10 times its weight
- Retains and releases nutrients over extended periods
- Provides excellent aeration for substantial, healthy root development
- Naturally weed and pathogen free
- Enhances soil microbial life
- Neutral to slightly acidic pH
We carry an excellent quality coco coir that we use to amend our own seed starting mixes. Come in to visit us! We’ll be happy to show you how to use coco coir bricks to start your own garden.