July 20, 2015 Growing Tips
Biochar is a fine-grained, highly porous charcoal that can enhance soils. It can persist with very little decay for hundreds of years, as discovered in the unusually fertile Terra Preta soils of the Amazon. Some of the benefits of Biochar include:
- Increased fertilizer efficiency
- Moderating of soil acidity
- Increased water efficiency
- Increased microbial activity
- Aerating of clay soils
- Greater crop yields
Some recommended uses:
- Spread a layer about 1/4″ – 1/2″ thick and till into soil
- Spread thin layer, cover with mulch.
- Blend with potting media or topsoil at 5% – 10% for pots or plantings.
- Add as a component of compost at 3% – 30% then apply as usual.
- Mix with desired fertilizer for extended release.